Friday, May 22, 2009

Well, that wasn't fun

Forget it. Playing the Padres just doesn't work, even with Tim Lincecum on the mound. On to the Mariners.

Randy Johnson will start tonight in Seattle, chasing his 300th win. From what I hear, the road to 300 is already starting to be a drag for all involved. Johnson has been giving all kinds of interviews about this feat he hasn't done yet, he spent an afternoon with a Sports Illustrated scribe, he's flying his family out to Seattle for the series ... He has indicated that he just wants to get the thing over with. Photo by Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images.

The 6'10" lefty sits at 298 wins, but his stuff hasn't been the greatest lately. Baseball is obsessed with milestones, but given the wins and losses for pitchers is a fairly useless stat, what's all the fuss about? I mean, I get that R.J. (Don't call him Big Unit) is a hall of famer, I get that his longevity is amazing, but how many of those losses were because he got no run support? How many runs did he give up in his wins?

Speaking of useless stats, I heard Texas Rangers Club President Nolan Ryan is calling bullsh*t on pitch counts. Too many managers are pulling starters when their pitch count gets in the 80s or 90s to "protect their investment," even if the guy is still getting guys out.

Ryan calls it an experiment, I call it a return to common sense. Barry Zito, of all people, pitched a complete game the other night for the Giants, and C.C. Sabathia has pitched like 10 complete games from last season to now. You don't need to be as huge as Sabathia (and God knows he's not perfect), but if pitchers keep keep nailing strikes, let them play. They're ballplayers! Just give the catcher a rest now and then. Alot of baseball is about numbers, but a manager has to go with his gut sometimes.



Speaking of guts, at about 6:30 this morning I was snoring peacefully downstairs when I had to heave my guts all over the floor again. I ate a dixie cup or something out of the trash and it came back out. Whew, I do feel a lot better now.

Those bastards are barbecuing again. I hope I can get a piece of that ...

Jax

No comments: