Thursday, July 30, 2009

Manny and Big Papi are frauds

Hey everybody, Jax here. Chillaxin' in the garage.

Thanks for the comments and emails lately, I really appreciate the feedback. Sometimes it's lonely in this garage all day. Thank God for the A's road trip to the East Coast this last week. At least I could tap my nose to turn on the radio and catch those afternoon games on 860 AM ...

The New York Times is reporting that Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Is this a big shocker? For Big Papi, sort of. I think it says something now that some users are slumping. Like Ortiz (now batting .224) and Jason Giambi (.193, out with injured quad). Ortiz photo by Jim Harrington/Photo.net.

As a dog who has been to the vet and been drugged, I feel a little sorry for these guys. But taking steroids is like selling your soul to the devil--you will pay.

On the Giants latest deals: They were fine moves. But callers on sports radio lately have floated the intriguing idea of bringing back Double B's Barry Bonds later this season to fill out the Giants' batting order. He has, of course, taken the fall for what seems like an entire "steroids era" of baseball. Would he slump now? I dunno, as long as his eyesight is good, I bet he can hit and hit for power. His talent is way beyond Ortiz or Giambi.

Wouldn't it be amazing to see BB return? Some fans want it, but "experts" say it's more trouble than it's worth, ruining the clubhouse atmosphere with hordes of media in every city and turning the whole thing into a circus, again.

Is Double B's even in shape? It would be a hell of a story if he came back in September, but I highly doubt Giants ownership would allow it. They hung on to Barry too long and finally cut ties.

Regardless of the politics, I think the Giants would almost surely win the pennant with him. Since he's a liability in right field (does anyone remember that?) could he suck it up and be a pinch hitter? I doubt it. Would he accept the league minimum pay? Doubt it.

That's all for now. Over the hum of the fan in the garage here, I can hear dogs barking in the valley. I want to get outside this garage and wrestle 'em. Or, maybe I'll just take a nap ...

Jax

No comments: