Friday, July 24, 2009

Who moved my dish?

You know that book from a few years back, Who Moved My Cheese? It was about accepting change.

Sometimes, when my dish gets moved, I get perturbed. Actually, if anyone touches my food dish, I will know about it. Even if I'm in the garage and it's in the house, I know. Even if I'm sitting at a craps table in Vegas, I know. My ears perk up. I look around. Who moved my dish!?

One team that should make a move is the Giants. With the trade deadline looming in seven days, a lot of people have said the Giants need to make a trade or show some kind of signal that this team is good and has a shot to make the playoffs.

But even if no deals are made and the Giants can't get a bat or a difference-maker by then, Andy Baggarly said something on his blog that's worth repeating. He's the Giants beat writer for the San Jose Mercury News.

There’s one thing to remember about the July 31 trade deadline, however. It’s not really a deadline. In this economic climate, players making anything more than a McDonald’s shift leader are likely to pass through waivers. And players who aren’t on 40-man rosters aren’t subject to waivers, either. So the deadline is really more like August 31.


Everybody catch that? You don't have to understand all the legal mumbo jumbo, but understand that the Giants can afford to wheel and deal a little longer (assuming they are wheeling and dealing). For all the Giants fans calling KNBR and Damon Bruce wailing every night about how they need to make a trade--relax. Put the worrying and the hand-wringing and the pacing on hold for a sec.

Giants players like Randy Winn and Aaron Rowand have said they are not surprised at the team's strong record going in to the All Star Break. They say they are confident in the guys they have. But us baseball fans are just born worriers. It's like an essential trait.

It could be a helluva lot worse. We could be the A's, who just ran up the white flag on their season Thursday by trading Matt Holliday to the Cardinals. Holliday Photo by deconstructingthoughts.mlblogs.com.

The A's are 40-54, dead last in the AL West, 16 games back.

The Giants are 51-44 and 1 game back in the Wildcard to Colorado. Put that in your pipe, smoke it, then drink a beer.

Not to mention, the Giants have a chance to tie the Wildcard race tonight at Colorado with Matt Cain on the mound vs. Jason Hammel. First pitch, 6:10 p.m. PST.

Sit down, watch the game, and CHILLAX, Giants fans.

Jax

No comments: